Saturday, March 19, 2005


i was having a break from my morning class - (which had began 45 mins earlier at 8am!!) and one of my students came up to me, a boy of about 20. Who during the previous 45mins hadnt said a word to me, except when i called the "roll" for the class - - "here" he shouted along with the other students in the class - he had learnt to confirm his attendance by shouting - or in most cases simply saying "here!" - This boy came up to me and without hesitation - (which in itself is unusual for a Chinese student, the students are usually shy, to the point of being physically sick on occasion) asked me for a "lite" - " Hey Mark" - he shouted, " have you got a lite for my cigi?"...."Ofcourse......." I replied, "here......." and I passed it to him...He used this time looking me in the eye and said - again without hesitation, " I like your class, I will always come.........." "Thanks"......I said. "I hope you enjoy it......."
photo. mhobbs

No comments: